Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Camping BLTA's

I love camping. The main reason I like it so much is that Mike enjoys to cook, clean and generally putter around at camping, which means I can sit by the fire with my book and ree-lax. Perfect.

That said, a good menu is necessary when camping, or else it's just not worth it. When we camp with our friends P&T we always trade off meals - so they make a dinner and breakfast and we make a dinner and breakfast. It works out really well and you cook less and clean less. Again, perfect.

Recently we camped at Otter Lake, near Princeton BC. Our dinner included BLTA's - Bacon Lettuce Tomato and Avocado sandwiches. Can't go wrong with that. Instead of the usual suspects, play around with the ingredients - use ciabatta buns and thick cut smokey bacon, smear on some flavoured cream cheese instead of mayo, use a nice dark lettuce and orange heirloom tomatoes. Don't forget the salt and pepper.

You'll be very happy to be camping.