Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cretons

Cretons is a french-canadian meat pate, which is only made at Christmas time in my family. If you've never had it, you're in for a real treat! My favourite way to eat it is on a piece of fresh baguette with some dijon or grainy mustard, or on toast with mustard. Nothing else.

My Mom has been making this recipe for ages which is courtesy of Marc Garneau's (the astronaut) grandmother, Rose-Alma. If you make the whole recipe you will have A LOT of cretons. I make a third of the recipe which yields 4x 2-inch ramekins, which is enough for my husband and I over the holidays. You can freeze it, but mine sometimes don't even make it to the freezer!

I caution you that I have never made this without it sticking to the bottom of the pot, but that's no reason to not try it...it's THAT good!

3lbs ground pork
2-3 cups dried breadcrumbs
1 large onion, grated
3 cloves of garlic, chopped (use 2 if you are making a third of the recipe)
1 tsp ground cloves, a must!
3 cups of milk (use 1.5 cups if you are making a third of the recipe)
salt
pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large heavy bottom saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer very gently until thick, about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Spoon into ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Remember the mustard for eating! And send me your feedback if you try it.