Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jam Thumbprint Cookies

I can't believe I have not yet posted a recipe for a dessert or cookies - I love to bake, so it's shocking! Shocking I say! But, if there's got to be a first, then this is a good one.

These are a Christmas staple for me. I have been making them for years, and for good reason: they are yummy. And everyone who has them thinks so too...as evidenced by how fast they disappear. With a hot cuppa tea, it's a delish treat (or even breakfast as I've been known to do!).

Jam Thumbprint Cookies

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks
3 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
2-2/3 cup flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
jam - I prefer raspberry

Cream butter and combine with sugars and egg yolks, blend well. Mix in milk and vanilla. Add all dry ingredients and mix until just blended. It will seem dry at first. Place on a piece of plastic wrap and pull up sides until the mixture comes together, then wrap and chill for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Make a dent in each one with your thumb and fill with jam. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool briefly then remove to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container, placing parchment paper between each layer so they don't stick.

Yummmmmmy.