Sunday, July 11, 2010

Get Fresh!

How many times have you read a recipe or been at the market and thought "what is that vegetable" or "I don't know what a persimmon is"? I used to think the same thing when I started experimenting with different foods. So I bought Madeleine Greey's book Get Fresh!

The book is divided into 3 sections: fruits, vegetables and recipes. For each veggie and fruit she gives a description of the item, other names or variations, how to pick it, store it, prep it, and use it. A "to your health" paragraph describes what the item provides in terms of nutrition and what illnesses is can guard against. The recipes are good, fairly simple and use a variety of foods that you might not normally choose.

I often use this book, mostly as a reference when I don't know how to pick an item or prepare it. But mostly this book has allowed me to try different fruits and veggies (mostly veggies) that I normally wouldn't have - that's how I discovered the extraordinary benefits of kale.

If you need a perk in your kitchen repertoire, then Get Fresh and try a new veg!