Ok, so I'm back and posting a vegan recipe as my new post....yes, I said vegan. Don't worry, I'm not vegan and have no intention of becoming solely vegan. I love a bbq burger in the summer; that said, there's no reason not to incorporate some heatly alternatives for the "non burger days".
I recently purchased the Vegan YumYum cookbook - and the first recipe I tried was a keeper. I can see this tomato soup recipe being a good one for kids, a good way to hide some healthy into a good soup. http://veganyumyum.com/
I have made mine a little less spicey to appeal to the little ones...
Tomato Chickpea Soup
2 tbsp veg oil (I use olive oil)
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 28-ounce can tomatoes
1 tsp salt
2-4 tbsp hot water
black pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and dried herbs and spices and stir for one minute. Add the chickpeas and saute for a few minutes until they turn golden.
Add the tomatoes and break the them up with the back of your spoon. Turn to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
You can either transfer this recipe to a blender or use an immersion blender. I think and immersion blender is PRICELESS - you can find them cheap cheap at Superstore - and can be used for soooo many things. So get one.
Add hot water to your blended soup if necessary to thin out, and taste for seasoning adding salt and pepper as you like.
This is a vegan recipe but we like to enjoy it with a toasted baguetter with melted cheddar cheese : )