Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Cookbooks
I have to admit I love cookbooks. If I could have a library full of them I would... for now I have an overflowing shelf of them. I love the photography, the inspired ideas, the author's stories and shared food information, the myriad of things I'd love to cook but don't. It just all makes me happy. Despite all that I have a simple few go-to cookbooks, the ones I use to cook not just admire.
The Joy of Cooking. I first bought this one for the sheer fact of the encyclopedic nature of the recipe collections. It offers a lot of basic cooking information about meat, beans, veggies etc. There are no photos but nonetheless it's got a array of solid recipes that are reliable time and again. This has become my one true source for many recipes.
The Journey for Food Lovers series. Oh how I love these, I wish I owned them all! I have the Food of France, the Food of Spain, the Food of India, and the Food of Asia. They are beautifully photographed and offer segments on different ingredients that make up the food of each culture. The recipes sometimes require a bit more time or specialty ingredients, particularly in the Food of India. Overall the recipes are very home cooking friendly and turn out as expected. A delish find!
Bon Appetit magazine. Ok so this isn't a cookbook but it's always a treasured read for me. And in every issue I can find a recipe that I really want to make, that I do make, and usually end up keeping as a regular dish. They often do features on a particular cooking technique or food trend which are always a highlight. After returning from Italy earlier this year Bon Appetit had a pasta issue and showcased the simplicity of cooking a "real" pasta sauce. I tried the Amatriciana and I can attest to a good outcome. Perhaps Santa will bring me a subscription next year... ;)
I can't say I need another cookbook, but I don't think I'll ever stop buying them. They inspire me to turn the mundane task of every day cooking into a culinary adventure where the outcome is me eating. How much better can that be?!