Friday, September 24, 2010

soup and sandwich weather

"Are you really posting tomato soup and grilled cheese on your food blog?"

Well, yes I am!


Listen these days my time is at a premium so lingering over the stove isn't a daily option anymore. And who says that soup and a sandwich can't be a winning dinner, you just have to make sure it's tasty and nutritious. In light of this, the soup is homemade so I can control what goes into it and the sandwich...who doesn't love a grilled cheese! I love soup, my husband did not when I met him....something about terrible childhood soup memories. But, I've since converted him and on a rainy day we love the soup and sammy combo.

I've always received comments about making soup like it's such a big deal. People, it's soup, it's easy and a great excuse to use up what you've got in the frigo. I will be posting more soup recipes in the month to come - try them out and see how delicious they can be compared to a tin can!

Tomato Soup

1 pint of cherry tomatoes
2 gloves garlic, chopped finely
1/2 red onion
1 - 28 ml can diced tomatoes
dried basil and thyme
salt
pepper
* cream, optional

In a large heavy non-reactive saucepan, heat 1tbps olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and the cherry tomatoes, stirring to combine and cover for a few minutes. Check on the tomatoes regularly, stirring, making sure that the garlic isn't burning (if it's starting to get dark turn the heat to low). You are looking for the tomatoe skins to split. Once this happens, add the can of tomatoes and your seasoning. Turn the heat up to med-high, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat and puree using an immersion blender. If you don't own one of these * get one * since they are great for making soups. Return the pot to the heat and taste for seasoning...I like mine with lots of pepper.

At this point you have 2 options - keep the soup as is or make it smoother and creamier. The as is version is very tart and acidic. If you prefer a smoother and creamier soup then strain the mixture through a fine sieve and add 1 cup of cream (or heavy milk) once you return it to the heat.

Serve with a grilled cheese of your choice - I like mine with whole grain bread and sharp cheddar. That's it. That's a grilled cheese. If you want to fancy it up, add some thinly sliced ham or avocado to your sandwich.

Enjoy on a dark rainy evening....come to Vancouver and you could have this every day of the week in the winter ; )