Monday, October 4, 2010

Make it up

I love recipe books, I love recipes, I love eating the recipes I learn. BUT, I also love to just get in the kitchen and make whatever I feel like eating. Getting inspiration from a walk through the farmer's market, the butcher's, or the bakery...ahhh, I get so excited I just want to buy everything!

Recently my dad made a yummy moroccan inspired lentil stew which went well with the grilled lamb and couscous he also made. I have not asked for the recipe yet, but on this cool fall day I felt like having just that, so I made it up. I came close but it was not quite the same. Nonetheless it was a hearty cozy meal.

I'm not posting a recipe here. What I want is for you to just jump into your fridge or your cupboard and make something up. Close your eyes and listen to your tummy....what does it want? A stir fry over rice? A potato gratin? A roasted chicken breast over braised cabbage and roasted cauliflower? Make something out of your comfort zone, something that you don't have a recipe for. And if it doesn't turn out quite so great, OH WELL. That's how most good recipes start, so just take note of what needs improving and make it again!

Good luck and enjoy the creative process!